042: 172 Marathons, 16 months in prison – but THIS was the hardest thing he did.
For many of us, running a single mile sounds tough — never mind running an entire marathon. Well, my guest has done that, and more. In fact, he’s run the equivalent of 172 marathons — in a row!
On this episode of the Dr. Gundry Podcast, I speak to ultra marathon runner, author, and motivational speaker Charlie Engle.
Charlie has run 4,500 miles across the Sahara Desert, and spent 16 months in federal prison — but considers his more than two decades of sobriety as one of his biggest feats to date.
He released his memoir, Running Man, three years ago, and has touched countless lives with his story of courage, perseverance, and redemption.
We discuss his struggles and setbacks with addiction and incarceration, and how running helped him overcome adversity and forge ahead. We also chat about his incredible, record-breaking treks around the globe, and how YOU can become a runner too… even if you hate running!
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why addicts don’t always fit the “down and out” stereotype (1:55)
- Why Charlie and I agree addicts are some of the smartest people out there (8:20)
- Whether running is just another form of addiction. (9:45)
- The shocking upside of having an addictive nature. (13:00)
- Why comfort is “ridiculously overrated” (17:10)
- What it’s like to run across the Sahara Desert in scorching 140 degree weather (19:00)
- How Charlie went from a documentary film star to a federal prisoner (24:30)
- The weird habit that made Charlie look “more than a little crazy” in his prison cell (28:00)
- The jail yard workout program Charlie used to help 11 fellow inmates lose more than 100 pounds (30:40)
- The big lie you HAVE to tell yourself if you plan to start running. (37:20)
- One of the most unusual prescriptions I’ve ever written. (40:00)
- Charlie’s response to critics (like me!) who say long distance running is “dangerous” (43:55)
Mentioned in this episode:
If you like this episode, you may also enjoy:
Yes, you CAN Exercise Too Much! Will Ahmed Talks Overtraining
The secrets of the world’s most successful people, revealed
Strength Training, TRX, And The TRUTH About Working Out
Watch on YouTube:
WATCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE DR. GUNDRY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE.
I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOU! TAKE THIS SURVEY.
SHARE, SUBSCRIBE and RATE “THE DR. GUNDRY PODCAST” HERE on ITUNES.