045: Dr. Gundry reveals: The secret life of lectins
By now you’ve probably heard all about how toxic plant proteins — called lectins — can wreak havoc on your gut and even cause serious autoimmune diseases.
But ever since I published my best-seller The Plant Paradox back in 2017, people have been asking me this one question:
“Where did your idea about lectins come from?”
Well, I didn’t discover lectins. In fact, the science behind lectins is over 100 years-old!
But I was one of the first people to theorize that lectins are THE major culprit behind so many of our modern ailments.
So on today’s episode of the Dr. Gundry Podcast, I’m going to take you on a journey of discovery. I’ll explain the origins of my lectin theory of disease, share useful tips and tricks for cutting lectins out of your diet, and discuss the case studies that helped solidify my research.
You’re also going to hear me answer some of my fiercest critics and address the serious scientific scholarship underpinning everything I’ve written about lectins.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- The 1 bean you should NEVER eat (even pressure cooked!) (2:15)
- Which one of the most dangerous toxins on earth is actually a lectin (3:00)
- The real reason why lectins didn’t appear in my first book, Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution (9:00)
- One MAJOR scientific advance that dramatically changed my thinking about the human diet (11:00)
- The “evolutionary” difference between me and most of my critics (13:00)
- My “eureka” moment with my patient Tony, who showed me why cutting lectins from your diet can give your skin a healthy “glow” (19:00)
- The “relish experiment” that helped reinforce my lectin theory of disease (24:00)
- The “healthy” foods you should NEVER throw in your pressure cooker (25:00)
- How you can use these “ancestor” tricks for detoxifying lectins from your food (31:30)
- The best way to determine if you’re REALLY sensitive to lectins and the one condition almost EVERYONE in America has (33:00)
- How you can still enjoy some of your favorite lectin-containing foods AND feel healthier than ever (40:00)
- Yes, you can eat tomatoes! This is the simplest — and healthiest — way to eat one of the most lectin-heavy “health foods” out there (43:30)
- The one powerful legume you should start eating TODAY — and the best way to prepare it (44:15)
Mentioned on this episode:
My interview with Dr. David Perlmutter
Revised edition of Dr. Perlmutter’s Grain Brain
Father of the Paleo Diet — Loren Cordain, PhD
My interview with Dave and Jann Hales
My abstract on remission of autoimmune disease with a lectin-free diet
Do dietary lectins cause disease? (Originally published in the British Medical Journal.)
Lectins and Parkinson’s Disease (2016 paper)
Lectins and Parkinson’s Disease (2018 paper)
2011 Nobel Prize in Medicine for research on toll-like receptors
Veggies with Vision: Do Plants See the World around Them?
Plants can see, hear, smell, and respond
Colonel Robert Gibbon Johnson risked his life to help tomatoes under trial
If you like this episode, you may also enjoy:
Why Cutting Grains Can Save Your Life | Dr. David Perlmutter
“Cured” of Crohn’s Disease? How diet makes a difference
Are there GOOD lectins? Plant Paradox loopholes
Watch on YouTube:
WATCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE DR. GUNDRY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE.
I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOU! TAKE THIS SURVEY.
SHARE, SUBSCRIBE and RATE “THE DR. GUNDRY PODCAST” HERE on ITUNES.
Where does Lectin Shield fit into the lectin prohibition? Is it a cure all? How do your Canaries find it works for them? Thanks.
Awesome podcast! I definitely learned something from this. Thanks for posting!
My bowels do not work right. What is your solution?
Just brilliant Dr. Gundry….Thank you