174: Why “snot” is crucial for your health
If you take probiotics, you may be familiar with common strains like Lactobacillus acidophilus or Bifidobacterium bifidum.
But unless you’ve read my books, like the Longevity Paradox, that tout its amazing properties, you may have not heard about this INCREDIBLE longevity-supporting bacteria!
First identified in 2004, Akkermansia muciniphila — which literally translates to “mucus loving” — is a species of bacteria that helps to maintain our gut lining.
And until now, it’s never been available.
Enter Pendulum Life, the first company to offer Akkermansia in pill form.
I’m so excited to have scientist Colleen Cutcliffe on as CEO and co-founder of Pendulum Therapeutics to tell us all about it.
On this episode we talk about this bacterium’s benefits and why Akkermansia is so unique.
*This episode is sponsored by Pendulum Life – however, my opinions on Akkermansia muciniphila are my own.
Thank you to our sponsors! Check them out:
- Get 15% off your order at TenThousand.cc and enter code GUNDRY.
- Just go to DrinkLMNT.com/GUNDRY for your FREE Sample.
- To save some bucks today on prescriptions, Go to GoodRX.com/GUNDRY.
- Go to www.naturenatesllc.com or Amazon and use the promo code DRGUNDRY to get 15% off your first order.
- Visit ThriveMarket.com/GUNDRYpodcast to start your risk-free membership and get your FREE gift and $20 discount today.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- One of the most exciting discoveries in the history of microbiome research – and how it could help YOU live a longer, healthier life (2:00)
- How “leaky gut” develops over time, indications you may be suffering, and why it matters for YOUR longterm health (3:00)
- 2 key functions missing in most people with metabolic disease – and how this “mucus-loving” bacteria could make ALL the difference (6:00)
- Why SNOT is crucial for your health – and the “Goldilocks problem” that puts YOUR health at risk (9:00)
- Why probiotic supplements made like THIS are likely to have little to no efficacy – and what to look for on the label (14:00)
- One of the BEST ways to monitor your body’s unique tolerability to sugar and protein – and how doing so could give you a better understanding of your overall health (16:00)
- Why you could eat just about ANYTHING when you were a kid (and still look and feel great) – and why it doesn’t necessarily have to be a thing of the past (17:00)
- What farmer’s have taught us about the use of antibiotics – and how having THIS important conversation with your doctor could make a huge impact on your health (19:00)
- Why you may be giving too much credit to probiotic yogurt – and why THIS is much more effective for supporting gut health ( 20:00)
- The secret to helping your “gut garden” flourish (and the trick to KEEPING it healthy) (23:00)
- Why we get “butterflies” when we’re nervous or excited – and how it surprisingly relates to the the early detection and prevention of neurodegenerative disorders (25:00)
Mentioned on this episode:
If you liked this episode, you may also enjoy:
Watch on YouTube: