159: Why we overeat (and what to do about it)
What do you have in common with a locust?
My guest today says you have A LOT more in common with the locust than you think.
In fact, this similarity isn’t limited to locusts — it’s something we share with EVERY single animal in the entire animal kingdom…
And it could change the way YOU think about food and diet FOREVER.
I’m joined today by David Raubenheimer. David is the Leonard P. Ullmann Chair in Nutritional Ecology at the University of Sydney and co-author of the incredible book called Eat Like the Animals: What Nature Teaches Us About the Science of Healthy Eating – just out in paperback edition!
And believe me, I absolutely LOVE this book, which is why on today’s episode we’re going to dive DEEP into its contents.
You’re going to learn the TRUTH about your food cravings, how much protein you should REALLY be eating, what so many diets get completely WRONG, and much more.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What grasshoppers can teach you about the optimal human diet (3:30)
- How animals in the wild always eat the right amount of fats, proteins, and carbs (8:35)
- Why ALL animals seek out one specific macronutrient (11:00)
- The REAL source of the obesity epidemic (this is shocking) (15:15)
- Why we love to binge on processed carbs (and it’s NOT what you think) (16:55)
- Why the carnivore and Atkins diets work (and why they FAIL in the long term) (17:45)
- The nutrient that’s missing from most people’s diets (plus, why eating more of THIS carb can actually help you lose weight) (22:35)
- What 95% of Americans get WRONG about fiber (and how you can become part of the 5%) (28:00)
- Why the keto diet is actually an “emergency” diet (30:30)
- The shocking effects of a high-protein diet (and what breast milk can teach us about proper human nutrition) (33:45)
- How ultra-processed foods “hack” your body’s natural taste receptors and make you overeat fats and carbs (39:30)
- The dirty tricks the big food companies use to confuse us about what to eat (45:00)
- How to easily calculate how much protein you should be eating every day (47:55)
- The ONE problem with fasting (but why this “problem” can actually be a good thing in the long term) (56:00)
- What apes understand about FAT that we don’t (59:30)
- Why you should (almost) always eat roasted nuts (and which nuts are best eaten raw) (01:04:00)
Thank you to our sponsors this week. Check them out:
Blublox.com – Get free shipping and 15% off by visiting www.blublox.com/gundry ***
Go to THRIVEMARKET.com/gundrypodcast and get $20 off your first order and a FREE gift. ***
Get a $50 eGift Card when you join AirMedCareNetwork.com, use offer code GUNDRY. ***
Fitbit.com you get a 6-month trial of Premium when you buy Fitbit Sense. *****
Mentioned on this episode:
Eat Like the Animals (order your copy)
Professor David Raubenheimer’s research
Professor Stephen Simpson’s research (David’s co-author on Eat Like the Animals)
If you like this episode, you may also enjoy:
Eat fat and carbs (like this!)
Tim Spector – Eat MORE foods, worry LESS
Dr. Mark Hyman – Butter? Steak? Go for it, but pay attention to THIS
Stop counting calories! (Try this instead)
Watch on YouTube:
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HEAR ABOUT? PLEASE TAKE THIS ANONYMOUS, 1-MINUTE SURVEY.
WATCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE DR. GUNDRY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE.
SHARE, SUBSCRIBE and RATE “THE DR. GUNDRY PODCAST” HERE on ITUNES.