073: Can you turn off the “Alzheimer’s gene?”
As you get older, do ever notice things start to “slip”?
You might lose your keys, or forget someone’s name.
You might even find your cell phone in your refrigerator.
And while many believe “senior moments” like these are an inevitable part of aging, the truth of the matter is… they’re not.
On this episode of the Dr. Gundry Podcast, I share some important insights on a topic that affects everyone: Brain health!
To be more specific, the APOE-e4 gene — the gene linked with Alzheimer’s disease — and what having it could mean for YOU.
I also discuss whether genetics determine your fate, and reveal some of the lesser-known “culprits” of cognitive decline.
Here’s a hint: It has A LOT to do with what you EAT.
Plus, I reveal what foods can help you stay sharp WELL into your old age, and an ancient practice that can keep your brain in tip top shape.
So be sure to tune in!
On this episode, you’ll learn:
- What the APOE-e4 gene is, and how it impacts your chances of getting Alzheimer’s Disease (0:35)
- Why early onset Alzheimer’s has very little to do with genetics (2:30)
- An instance where you NEED cholesterol (4:15)
- The “mischief maker” to avoid if you have the APOE-e4 gene (6:30)
- A 98-year-old business man’s secret to staying sharp (9:30)
- The ONLY way your parents’ health history should affect you. “Their fate doesn’t have to be your fate.” (12:30)
- The one thing that can cut a woman’s chance of getting Alzheimer’s by 90% (13:20)
- How lectins affect your BRAIN (16:30)
- Astounding new research on Parkinson’s Disease (16:40)
- What “leaky mouth” is… and how it can hurt your memory (18:10)
- Why to STOP using mouthwash immediately… and what to start using instead (20:00)
- The #1 thing to ask your dentist, according to a heart surgeon (22:40)
- Why I used to meditate DURING heart surgery (24:00)
Mentioned on this episode:
Study on exercise preventing dementia in women
Study on the origins of Parkinson’s Disease
Link between oral health and dementia
How meditation can improve memory
If you like this episode, you may also enjoy:
For better health, do a shot (of this)
From incurable disease to med-free (1 man’s story)
She was “trapped” in a wheelchair – until she did THIS
Can’t quiet your mind to meditate? Here’s why that’s OK:
Can THIS Controversial Scan Reveal The Truth About Brain Health?
WATCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE DR. GUNDRY CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE.
I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOU! TAKE THIS SURVEY.
SHARE, SUBSCRIBE and RATE “THE DR. GUNDRY PODCAST” HERE on ITUNES.
*The Dr. Gundry Podcast does not offer medical advice.
Just found you on Milwaukee PBS! Hoping your book can help me with all my issues 😢
What can we do if we have a leaky mouth ?