Family dinner = better health? | EP 276
Do calories really matter? What’s the true impact of sharing a family meal on your overall health? And, most importantly, what are the secrets to adequately nourishing your physical and mental well-being?
In this episode, I welcome back Shawn Stevenson to shed light on all aspects of nutrition – including its powerful influence on YOUR happiness.
Shawn is the founder of The Model Health Show, which holds the top spot for Health & Fitness podcasts on Apple Podcasts.
He’s also a bestselling author and we introduce his latest book, Eat Smarter Family Cookbook: 100 Delicious Recipes to Transform Your Health, Happiness, and Connection.
We also discuss the best dietary choices for maximizing happiness, and share practical tips for thriving in your own kitchen!
On this episode you’ll learn:
- The astonishing impact of your social interactions on your mortality rate (4:43)
- The unexpected influence of dining WITHOUT your family on your overall well-being (6:15)
- How to encourage your child to reduce phone usage and adopt healthier eating habits (13:50)
- How the average American diet has transformed, with a staggering 60% focus on ultra-processed foods (and its potential impact on our happiness) (21:00)
- Why your family’s health history is NOT a significant indicator of yours (26:50)
- The top tips for a complete overhaul of your family’s eating habits and well-being (34:00)
- The fascinating reasons why our bodies crave specific flavors (and how companies leverage this knowledge to compromise your nutrition) (41:17)
- What the F.A.S.T. diet is – and how you can easily implement it into your life for overall wellness (49:00)
- The intriguing phenomenon of your mind becoming desensitized to artificial foods (and how to reawaken your body’s natural rejection of these unhealthy options) (55:25)
Mentioned on this episode:
- Eat Smarter Family Cookbook: 100 Delicious Recipes to Transform Your Health, Happiness, and Connection by Shawn Stevenson
- Archives of family medicine. “Family dinner and diet quality among older children and adolescents” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10728109
- Journal of nutrition education and behavior. “The association between family meals, TV viewing during meals, and fruit and vegetables and soda and chips intake among Latino children” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3117953/
- BMJ Nutrition and Metabolism. “Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the US diet: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study” https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/3/e009892
- JAMA. “Trends in Consumption of Ultraprocessed Foods Among US Youths Aged 2-19 Years, 1999-2018“ https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2782866
- Harvard School of Public Health. “Too many kids are too heavy, too young” https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-trends/global-obesity-trends-in-children/
- JAMA Network. “Exploring the Role of Family Functioning in the Association Between Frequency of Family Dinners and Dietary Intake Among Adolescents and Young Adults” https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2715616
- Pediatrics. “Is Frequency of Shared Family Meals Related to the Nutritional Health of Children and Adolescents?” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3387875/#__ffn_sectitle
- Family & Consumer Sciences. “Work Interference with Dinnertime as a Mediator and Moderator Between Work Hours and Work and Family Outcomes” https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1077727X08316025
Thank you to our sponsors! Check them out:
- Head to TimelineNutrition.com for 10% off your purchase with promo code GUNDRY.
- Go to Zocdoc.com/GUNDRY and download the Zocdoc app to sign-up for FREE and book a top-rated doctor
- Go to trybite.com/GUNDRY for 20% off toothpaste tablets.
- Transform your sleep experience with Cozy Earth bedding, go to cozyearth.com/gundry for 35% off.
If you liked this episode, you may also enjoy:
Watch on YouTube: