143: Shane O’ Mara – Skip the gym, do THIS instead
Everybody knows that walking is good for you – right?
But could walking actually be better for you than heading to the gym, lifting weights… or even running?
Well, the answer may surprise you.
You see, science shows that living a healthier, happier life takes MORE than just talking the talk. It actually takes walking the walk – literally.
And in just a minute, you’re going to learn why.
On this episode of the Dr. Gundry Podcast, I’ll be speaking with the author, neuroscientist and bonafide walking expert, Shane O’Mara.
Shane is a professor of experimental brain research and the author of the new book In Praise of Walking: A New Scientific Exploration.
On this episode, Shane and I discuss why walking is one of the best forms of exercise there is, how it can benefit your posture, protect your organs, support “reversed aging”, and so much more.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- 4 ways SITTING can destroy your health – and the simple trick for reversing the damage (3:00)
- Why you don’t actually need 10,000 steps a day (and the REAL “step goal” you should strive for (5:00)
- How I unintentionally lost 50 pounds in ONE year – and how you can do the same (6:30)
- 5 SIMPLE ways to get more steps in – without even realizing it (9:30)
- What walking does to your BRAIN – and why it’s one of the BEST tools for creativity (10:30)
- How to “age BACKWARDS” physically and mentally (it’s quick, free, and super simple) (13:00)
- The TRUTH about walking vs. running when it comes to your health (and what you NEED to know if you do both) (17:00)
- How to walk for cardiovascular health vs. problem solving (yes, you need two totally different techniques!) (18:30)
- The “energy snacks” I swear by for curbing any craving, boosting my productivity, and bringing out my creative side (hint — it’s not in your kitchen) (20:30)
- Why walking at THIS time of day gives you a double-dose of health benefits (22:00)
- How to build MUSCLE by walking (yes, these tips make it possible!)
- The “movement trick” to DRAMATICALLY reducing your risk of developing depressive disorder and dementia (30:00)
- The difference between the lectins in nightshade fruits and their leaves – and whether or not they’re safe to eat (45:40)
Thank you to today’s sponsors: Thrive Market, Audible, Headspace and PlutoTV. Check out the awesome deals below!
Visit ThriveMarket.com/GUNDRYPODCAST. Join today to get 25% off your first order AND a FREE gift!
Check out Audible.com/GUNDRY for a FREE 30-day trial.
Headspace is offering you a 30-day FREE trial of my favorite meditation app. Just go to Headspace.com/GUNDRY
Drop in to PlutoTV at https://pluto.tv. It’s free. Watch 250+ channels of free TV and 1000’s of on-demand movies and TV shows
Mentioned on this episode:
If you liked this episode, you may also enjoy:
Watch on YouTube: